Sunday, July 16, 2006

Moreton Island Camping






Here are some pictures from our weekend camping trip on Moreton Island. Moreton Island is the largest island in Australia that is made entirely of sand. We drove approximately 30 minutes to Redcliffe where we took a boat to the island. The top picture is a photo of the ship wrecks where we went snokelling. The water was really really cold that day, it is winter here right now. The second photo is of Todd doing this thing they call boomnetting. Basically you hang onto this huge net behind the boat while they drag you around at really high speeds. I immediately took off my wetsuit to dry off after the snorkelling and wasn't about to get back into that freezing water again. I don't think I really missed out much though since Todd was pretty sore after this activity for a few days. The third picture is of Todd jumping down this huge sand hill that we climbed up. It was much steeper than it looks in the picture. You can see the view from the top in the last photo. We also went sandboarding in the sand dunes on the island. It's kind of like snow boarding but on the sand instead of in the snow. There was also this other bigger and wider board that you could lye down on as you slide down the sand hill. Despite the bad weather we had on this trip, the adventure was a lot of fun. The island was beautiful, hopefully we will go back there when the weather is nicer.

2 comments:

gummaluvvy said...

Well Tigg it looks like you were having fun at the time of the whiplash injury anyway. I really like the photo of both of you (wearing a hat tig) and am interested in Moreton Island. I have read a bit about it on the net but it is mostly commercial stuff on the site I was on (like booking weekends etc)
Love ya
Mama

Clan Mussellam said...

Hi guys! The boomnetting looks awesome! I'd love to give it a try! Did Tig man up and was he the last man still holding on or did the wee lass beside him hold on with her tenacious death grip? enquiring minds want to know!