Quick post from Sandakan in Malaysia....
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have arrived safely in Malaysia. So far I have climbed Mt. Kinabalu to the summit at 4096M. It was not an easy climb, but well worth the effort. We stayed at the park head quarters for a couple nights before we ascended the mountain tuesday morning. It took us 5 hours to climb 6km from 1500m up to 3000m. The next morning we woke up at 1:30, had breakfast at 2am and left for the summit climb by 2:30am. It took us 3 hours to reach the summit, just in time for the sunrise at 5:30am on the morning of my 30th birthday. My sister and the other traveller that we met struggled with a bit of altitude sickness but somehow the altitude did not really affect me much. The climb down on the second day was long and grueling, a total of 5 hours to the summit and back to the rest area, then another 3.5 hours back to head quarters. Then it was off to Pouring Hot Springs to soak our pathetic aching bodies in the sulfur baths. Today we took a long bus journey 5 hours across the state to Sandakan where we are somewhat in limbo at the moment, unsure of where we are going tomorrow. Saturday we will be joining a jungle/river trek on the Kinabantangun River.
Sorry no photos yet, I didn't bring my thing to transfer photos to the computer. I will try to update when ever I can, but it's difficult to access internet in most places here as there are only 3 small cities here. Not to worry though, there will be lots of photos for you all to look forward to when I get home in a couple weeks.
6 comments:
Hey! What a great way to celebrate your 30th Bday! That will be one birthday you are sure to never forget! Great job getting out there and doing this Rowena! Bet poor Tig is missing the hell out of you!
Thanks for posting, pictures or not.
xo
vashti
Good for you little one!! What an exhilarating experience it must be. But I must go and soak my aching body in a sulpher bath, on wait that is you. Told you I live vicariously.
Love you much
mamaev
Happy Birthday Rowena!
That is an awesome memory for you! I have two .5 years to get in shape for my big 50, I plan to climb..... drum roll please...heart attack hill!!! ( picking up booze from the Haida way and home again)haha,
your trip sounds fantastic! can't wait for the pictures,
Hey tigger! Stop crying into that pillow now..
XXXX Jac
Hi tig long time no post!!
Hope you are well. I will phone either tomorrow or our Sunday.
Love you and miss you
mama
Wow Row, Happy Birthday!!!! and what a way to spend it is right. I bet you and your sister are having a blast, what an experience! I would say Im jealous but frankly it sounds like too much exercise for this girl. Keep on treckin and post again soon!!
Hope your doing well Tig!!!!
love & hugz
ok Tigger! post and let us know that missy has made it down the first mountain and is continuing on with her adventure! Hi Rowena where ever you are!!!
XXJac
Post a Comment