Monday, July 30, 2007

Danum Valley

I've really gotten behind in my blogging lately. It's been over a month since I returned home from my trip and I've only managed to update the blog on the first half of my trip. Life over here in Australia has been pretty busy for Todd and I lately. Work has been pretty busy and the weekend just seem to fly by. We have been keeping busy on the weekends with some new friends over here, a really nice Australian couple who used to live in our building and a Welsh scientist who works in my lab at the university.

Last weekend we went and did some exploring around the city's suburbs. We walked across the Story Bridge and down onto a floating walkway along the river, taking us into the suburb New Farm and the infamous trendy Teneriffe. Teneriffe is a new, hip and very trendy neighbourhood built up around old wool stores along the river transformed into tiny upscale apartment complexes. It's pretty nice if you like to live in a sterile environment where all the housing is done up in a very modern art deco like style with very straight clean lines using white and frosted glass exteriors. Kind of reminded me a bit like a Stepford wife type neighbourhood where everything looks the same and the children are all standing outside on the front lawns bouncing their balls in sync with each other. We meant to bring our camera to take some photos, but unfortunately forgot so we have no photos, sorry.

So since I'm sitting around at home sick while Todd is off to his boxing class, I thought I would try to get our blog updated, at least get through the photos of my trip.....

So continues the saga.... Here we are off the backpacker track and into a little bit of luxury. This is one of only 2 places to stay in the primary protected rainforest, Danum Valley. We decided to splurge and spend one night at the Borneo Rainforest Lodge. We pleasantly surprised when we arrived. After a 2.5 hour drive along logging roads we finally arrived at the lodge. Our driver took all our luggage and brought them to our rooms for us. Another girl came down to greet us and take us upstairs to the lounge area where we were brought cold towels and welcome drinks! Talk about being spoiled!



Here is a view of the rainforest from the balcony of our chalet.


We went for a trek on the canopy walk way, a suspension bridge through the rainforest.


The next morning we hiked up to this view point and then went for a refreshing swim at the waterfall on our way back down.


2 comments:

gummaluvvy said...

I am so glad you are posting again as I thought that you had quit putting up your vacation pics!!
I love to see them and learn lots when you give your comments. (well as much as I can learn, I learn)
then promptly forget it.....but for those brief seconds... I am a whiz. Or do I have to go whiz, well whatever I meant I still do..I think.
tooooo much time on my hands
love ya
mamaev

gummaluvvy said...

UPDATE YER DAMN BLOG PEOPLE!