Sunday, November 19, 2006

Koalas, Koalas, and more Koalas......

So here we were today at the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary about 11km from the city centre. I think we saw enough koalas today to last a life time and now we are going to share them with you. I'm sure you will have had your fill of koalas too after you finish looking at this post.

Koalas are pretty lazy and spend most of their time sleeping. I think that at least 50% of their life is spent sleeping and another 30% spent 'resting'.




When they are not sleeping or resting, they are eating...

Even when they are awake, they are not the most active creatures.


Here are a couple koalas fighting. They were pretty vicious, biting and clawing at each other. I think it's mating season and the two guys were fighting for the female.

This guy below was the most active one we saw all day. He actually got down out of the tree and was running/walking around on the ground for quite some time. They actually look like cute little mini bears when they are walking around on all fours.



Of course I couldn't leave the koala sanctuary without getting a picture taken at the koala cuddling centre. Cute and cuddly looking aren't they? Well in actual fact, not really... this guy, Damion, was digging his long, sharp claws into my shoulders and belly while I had my picture taken. To my surprise, the pictures turned out alright, I was actually in a bit of pain while he was 'hugging' me. His claws actually poked a couple of fair sized holes into the material of my dress. He almost pooped on me too, I'm very thankful that he waited until right after he was taken out of my arms. Anyways, it was a fun experience and something you just have to do as a tourist in Australia.

There were other animals there other than koalas, but I will save those for a later time. Todd wouldn't have come there with me just to look at koalas. Acutally he was quite disinterested in the koalas and spent most of his time trying to coax the cassowary out to get a picture for you guys.

5 comments:

Jason@brandscaping.ca said...

I was actually in a bit of pain while he was 'hugging' me.

If i hadnt read the whole blog, i would have assumed you were talking about tig!
Especially "he almost pooped on me"

Man, i wish you two would hurry up and have kids, so much easier to justify the trip!
It looks lovely there

jason

Jason@brandscaping.ca said...

oh, yeah - FPB!

Anonymous said...

oh unkaj is getting up early and stalking blogs now! scary..I had to stay up until two am to get the first one last night! Koala ville looks like fun, It really does look like an incredible place to visit!
I want to see underwater pics of the GB reef one of these days guys!
luv n kisses, Jac

Clan Mussellam said...

koala 'hugging' or baby bump hiding? how come rowena looks all glowy.. couldn't be happiness with her husband could it???

hahaha.. my friend from Australia always laughs when ppl say they like koalas... she says ya they are cute but the sounds they make are horrendous.. snoring/snorting sounds! I'll have to make it there to find out for myself!

Duppa Dee said...

Oh smuggle me back one!!
Hi, snugging things named after the devil is kinda asking for trouble isnt it?