Sunday, April 15, 2007

Day 2 - Kuranda

Second day of our vacation in Cairns we took our rental car for a drive to Kuranda where you can ride on the skyrail that goes overtop of the canopy of the rainforest. This was a super touristy area with a little market area that sold all sorts of tourist souvenirs and other tourist attractions like the bug zoo, butterfly world, bird and koala land etc etc. We got suckered into the tourist things and took the skyrail from the top (Kuranda) down to this little town north of Cairns. There are 2 stops on the way down where we thought you could get out and hike through the rainforest. Well it turned out these so called 'hikes' were 500m boardwalks with lookout points, super lame.
Here we are at the beginning of our journey before boarding the skyrail.

The first pit stop, Barron Falls, at one of the three look out points.


Another look out point, not much of a waterfall, doesn't look like the postcard pictures that's for sure.



View from inside the skyrail looking down at the little town north of Cairns out to the ocean.

On our way back up in the skyrail, trying to pass some time by taking photos. Todd was trying to get a 'nice' photos of the two of us while we were bored to death stuck in this thing, so I decided to make some weird faces. Contrary to what some of you might comment, I don't always look like that, only when I'm stuck in a small gondola hanging over the rainforest with Todd and no way to escape him.


After our wonderful skyrail journey, we decided to go for a 'hike' along the paved trails going through the rainforest or the so called "Kuranda backroads". Todd and I both had leeches fall from the middle of no where onto our feet, luckily I was wearing running shoes and didn't get any blood sucked out of me. Todd on the other hand, wearing his thongs, had a bit of blood drawn from his big toe... poor leech, didn't know what it was in for when it decided to hang onto Todd's toe.

Wild turkey

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha poor unsuspecting leech will never be the same! So happy to see the continuing saga of the honeymoon trip, it's almost like being there! The pictures are beautiful, what a great country eh!can't wait for the GBR stories!!keep em coming! (the pics, the pics)
luv and FIRST POST AGAIN!!!!
Jac

vashti said...

leeches.... *shudder*.. leeches... YUCK!

I'd take tig's toes over leeches...


wait, i'm not saying i'd latch on and suck.. i'm just saying i'd rather be forced to look at tig's feet than forced to look at leeches..


blech...gross
xo
v

Duppa Dee said...

I hope todd wasn't sporting white pants to go with his thong...and if he did, I hope he chose the 'nude' colored thong...
Sweet pics people, I especially like the one of wiener with the surprised mentalcase face!

Anonymous said...

Ummm i was blessed with nice although i will admit a little hairy toes, Brodie and Saige are the fricking throw backs.

Props to Jac our true number one fan,

charli girl said...

wow you dont check for a day and look what happens, you miss a ton of posts. Congradulations on your 1st year together!!! pretty exciting year at that!!!! You guys look great... can't wait for more pics!

Anonymous said...

I count five posts there people! new pics please! I prefer to hear the stories of the reef..chop chop! or I will send you pictures of my twin toes (bill and ben)Do you think it is strange that I gave them boy's names? maybe they are my inner children trying desperatly to get out, but co- dependant...(this is me alcohol free for two months..hmmm) just shut me up with some more good pics please!
luv J, and bill and ben

Rowena said...

We are posting in cronological order and it just happens that the best part is one of the last days, so you'll just have to wait :p Besides, haven't you ever heard of the saying "Save the best for last"? Ooo the suspense....

gummaluvvy said...

I have heard of that saying but was not able to use it because my children would then know that Brodie is the BEST!! (even with his malformed toes)
heh heh heh
ly
meghnl