Friday, April 20, 2007

More of the GBR

Here are a few photos of the Great Barrier Reef. I don't actually remember it looking like this, but I think these photos were taken by the photographer on a different day and he just put together a package of pictures for us. We bought this package of photos from the photographer that day where we were able to choose 5 photos of our own (the previous photos I posted of the two of us) and then it came with a bunch of photos he took of the reef that day and another folder of random reef photos. Anyways, this gives you a sneak peak of what it's like to be underwater at the GBR.

The formation of the reef was spectacular! There were so many different types of coral all stacked on top of each other everywhere. Although these photos seem to make the reef appear more colourful than I remember, the pictures really don't do the experience any justice. The mass amount of coral reef around you while you're swimming underwater was really amazing. Everywhere you look there were masses and masses of coral and little sea creatures. I think it's definately something that everyone should have the chance to experience. We are totally hooked on diving and I hope that we will return to the GBR to see more in the near future, this next time for our dive certification!! Jacqui you guys HAVE to come here. I know how much you love diving and it's so wonderful, like a fantasy, to be part of the underwater world here.




This is a photo of a giant clam which we actually did see that day we went diving. It was super cool, I could see the mouth of the clam opening and closing. It was so neat that I was diving down to get a closer look while the rest of my group had already continued onto the next spot. I looked up and everyone was way off in the distance, so I had to hurry to catch up to the rest of the group so I didn't get left behind.



We also found Nemo and his Dad hiding out in the anemone. They peaked out to say hello to us.


This white tipped shark we actually saw on our first dive! Surprisingly it was not scary or threatening at all like I thought it would be. It just kind of hung out underneath the reef and didn't even seem to acknowledge our presence. Everyone had told me that they are harmless and there has never in history been anyone killed by a shark diving at the reef. Apparently there are so many poisonous things to the sharks around the reef that they don't eat much around there. But I still didn't swim down too close to it, you never know... a shark is a shark.

5 comments:

gummaluvvy said...

FIRST POST!!
you guys are doing so well.....no actual stings or shark bites were had!!
(but wee really, I hear they swell nicely those jellyfish stings!)

heh heh heh
me

Anonymous said...

wow! looks terrific! so glad to hear you enjoyed it so much...scary shark! yes, I need to come and visit!
luv ya! Jac

Clan Mussellam said...

Wow you did find nemo!!!

I'm going to come back again tomorrow when the girls are awake to show them!!!

love the GBR pics.. can't wait to see what you two crazy kids do next!

Anonymous said...

ok, this is me posting to up the number of posts...mercy post? we need 5 people to get new pics...I want more pictures please people!
Are you guys all back at work? what is the weather doing? are you still a yogi row? inquiring minds want to know!

Duppa Dee said...

Nice job kids, does ellen still do the voice overs even if nemo is really underwater?