This was a big day for us. We headed up the coastal highway passed Port Douglas (one hour north of Cairns) to the Daintree, a tropical rainforest/national park. We stopped for a nature cruise along the Daintree river hoping to see a larg crocodile in the wild. Boy this must have been our lucky day! We had spotted 3 baby crocodiles along the river banks, a grey snake in the trees above (that everyone saw except for me, I have to say it was very well camoflaged), a couple of king fisher birds, some colourful butterflies and various other little critters. Near the end of our cruise one of the other tour operators radio'ed in to our guide that they had spotted a large grown crocodile. So off we went, as fast as the little boat would take us to the spot of Fat Albert. By the time we got there, he had gone under thewater again and was no where to be found. But with a little patience, he eventually resurfaced. Wow it sure was a sight to see, a huge full grown male crocidile nearly within arms length (a very tall person's arms of course) away.
Here we are on the boat waiting to take off for our nature river cruise.

Baby croc
King Fisher

After the river cruise, we headed off up north to Cape Tribulation, where the rainforest meets the reef. But first we had to take this "boat" across the Daintree River to get to the other side. As you can see it's actually not a very far distance to the other side of the river. It really wouldn't be very hard to just build a bridge across, but I think they like gauging innocent tourists like us the $16 return fare to cross the river. After our exciting ferry ride across the river, we had a beautiful drive through the Daintree rainforest up to Cape Tribulation where we wondered around on the beaches for a while until it started pouring down rain on us again.
Daintree ferry crossing

The rainforest right behind the beach.


As we are headed back to Cairns driving through the rainforest in the pouring rain, (who ever would have thought it rained so much in a rainforest?) we decided to make one last stop on the way home at the ice cream factory. Luckily the rain had let up by the time we got there. This place grows all their own tropical fruit and then turns the fruit into homemade icecream. On the menu that day was soursap, jackfruit, wattle seed, and passionfruit. Mmm delicious, my favorite was the soursap, a sour/sweet tasting fruit originally from South/Central America. The wattle seed kind of tasted a little bit like coffee and the jackfruit... well I guess it tasted like jackfruit, I don't have a creative way to describe it's unique flavor.

Wandering through the orchard, we found a tree full of these green prickly things. Some of them had fallen on the ground so Todd decided to find out what was inside. The flesh inside is kind of like that of a lychee, transparent white wrapped around a seed in the middle. We later found out that these were unripe rambertams. They actually turn a deep red colour when they are ripe and ready to eat. Here I am eating an unripe rambertam that fell from the tree.
Jack fruit

Wattle seed

Here I will leave you with a photo of a gigantic creepy looking spider. We came across it on our way back from our walk around the orchard. There was a big sign that said "Please watch out for my web". You would think that one would be able to see this giagantic golden yellow web that spanned about 4 square metres, but it's a good thing that sign was up. I sure wouldn't have wanted to walk into that thing!
It appears that this giant spider had just caught his dinner. Here is a photo of the spider spinning a poor unsuspecting insect for his dinner plate that night. Apparently today was our lucky day for creepy/scary Australian creature spottings.






6 comments:
That spider looks like Shes on her way to a rave with all those freaky glowsticks!! I like that someone actually took the time to make a note about not wrecking her home, sounds like something I would do, only if the spider wasn't living in my house, or the hen house....then it would die a slow painful death, or just be shuffled outside.
You should have seen the wolf spider I came across the other day BIGASMYHAND! ok, well maybe as big as Saiges hand, ok well, shes a monster too, it was probably the size of two tums...
Damn I went for first post then went back to comment on ALL the new posts and lost out!
Danica will pay.....
you guys look so healthy and happy. Perhaps from spending a year away from families?
hmmmmm
ly
meghnl
right on! looks like an awesome trip so far! snakes and spiders and crocs..you guys do look great!
luv Jac
Umm, The spider was as big as my hand, i mean the body of it was the size of a cell phone and it had legs longer then a bulgarian runway model
sorry i have nothing in thier for scale.
T
YIKES! that is all I can say and I was even warned about the creepy/scary factor coming up in your posts!
At least you had icecream to make it all better!
You know what made it better for me? Tig's funny comment to Danica's comment.. you are funny Tig!
miss ya love ya and I swear there wont be any more buns from this oven!
What an adventure, I dont know if I have mentioned how jealous I am... actually I'm pretty sure I have. So keep up with the pics so I can live vicariously through you (spiders aside)
You guys do look great!!!
Post a Comment