Sunday, September 03, 2006

Todd's Random Collection of Photos

Brisbane city river festival fireworks.

Possum in a tree in the Botanical Gardens.
$5 at the Fun House turned into $1 of candy

Since we don't have any patio furniture yet, we moved our couch out onto the balcony to enjoy the nice weather while we waited for the fireworks to start.

So here is Todd's random collection of photos that he has decided to show case for everyone today. There's a picture of a possum in the tree at the Botanical Gardens. The possums here are like our racoons back home. They are everywhere and only come out at night time to go through the trash. The picture of me with my head on the table is from our adventures in Sunnybank.

So last night, we had our friends over to celebrate Todd's birthday and watch the river festival fireworks. Yesterday was the opening day for the river festival. I'm not sure exactly what the festival is all about, something to do with celebrating the Brisbane river anyways. It will continue for the next week, but I think the fireworks were the highlight of the festival. Apparently this firework showcase is the biggest event of the year in Brisbane (bigger than New Year's Eve). They set up about 5-6 places where they let off fireworks along the city limits of the river. There were more people out last night than I have ever seen in Brisbane in the last 4 months that we have been here. We are so fortunate to live close to the river and have a view of the city so we didn't have to go out and brave the crowds of thousands of people who basically set up camp early that morning to secure their perfect viewing spot for the show that night. From our apartment balcony we could see 5 of the fireworks displays going off simultaneously. There were also 2 F111 fighter bomber planes that flew past about 50 ft off the river. They were so loud and close to us. They looked like 2 big glowing fireballs flying through the city.

After the fireworks show we drove up to the top of Mount Coot-ha to see the view of Brisbane city. It was a great night full of fun and festivities.

5 comments:

gummaluvvy said...

so when you say drove up, do you have a car or do your friends? The firework display sounds and looks fantastic. I will be checking out on the internet what the celebration is all about.
Looks like you are still having fun!!
Love ya much
Mamaev

gummaluvvy said...

so when you say drove up, do you have a car or do your friends? The firework display sounds and looks fantastic. I will be checking out on the internet what the celebration is all about.
Looks like you are still having fun!!
Love ya much
Mamaev

gummaluvvy said...

so when you say drove up, do you have a car or do your friends? The firework display sounds and looks fantastic. I will be checking out on the internet what the celebration is all about.
Looks like you are still having fun!!
Love ya much
Mamaev

Anonymous said...

God, your mother really does repeat herself a lot! Ahh, I should not mock as that could be me anytime! Hey Charli had new pics up (finally) for those who gave up. It is so nice of the Aussies to have fireworks for Tig's birthday! what a friendly place.
Keep on blogging! luv Jac
did I tell you I caught a 27lb spring...oh yeah there I go repeating myself!

Rowena said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.